[omniORB] Network performance

Default User defaultuserbr at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 13:01:53 GMT 2007

--- "Ridgway, Richard (London)" <Richard_Ridgway at ml.com> wrote:

> Taking a punt, SOAP was an order of magnitude slower while
> co-located?

No, not in general. Depending on the type of message, SOAP took
three times as long or more in a round-trip, averaged over many
trials.

> Why would you not expect the latency increase when going over the
> LAN?

I did expect some, but thought that CORBA and SOAP would increase
at about the same rate.

Again, SOAP's performance was essentially the same. Omniorb's degraded
by an order of magnitude, so that box-to-box it's much worse than
gSOAP.

That doesn't seem right to me, so I'm looking to see if I've made
some error in set-up.

> Simple test below:
>
> %ping localhost
> PING ......... 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from ......... icmp_seq=0 ttl=58 time=0.027 ms
>
> %ping neighbouring-machine
> PING .......... 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from ............. icmp_seq=0 ttl=58 time=0.535 ms

I'll get those numbers.