[omniORB] Multiple ports in OmniOrb 2.6

Shawn LaMaster shawn at lamaster.com
Fri Nov 2 05:43:16 GMT 2007

Duncan,
     The reason for doing this is that the host we are connecting to -
 the Chicago Board of Options Exchange (CBOE) - only allows one port
connection on their end per session/application/login.   We want to
establish two (or more) from one machine.  We would like to have
market data (bids,asks,trade prices, etc) coming through on one
instance of our service, and the actual trading to go through on
another separate instance of our service - but from the same server -
one OmniOrb.  This is a limitation they impose on their end that we
have no control over - one port per session. This is why we are
asking how to do this.  Thanks for your help.
     Shawn

> On Tuesday 30 October, Jeff Wambolt wrote:
>
> > I am going to describe what it is we are wanting to do...
> > On ONE machine.
> >
> > We want to run 2 instances of our service, each one connecting to the
> > SAME server (specified with *clientTransportRule*),
> > BUT we want multiple endPoints... one for each our our processes.
>
> Why?  What effect do you think that will have?
>
> [...]
> > In short, we have a certain type and volume of "callback" data traffic
> > that we don't want "mixing" with other traffic.
> > We want to, in a programmatic or pre-config way, separate these 2.
>
> Why?  TCP port numbers are not things with a limited capacity for
> sending data. A TCP connection is characterised by the endpoint details
> of both ends. It makes precisely no difference if two clients are
> connected to a single server port than if the two clients are connected
> to two different server ports. There is no "mixing" of traffic just
> because it happens to be sharing a port number.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Duncan.
> --
>  -- Duncan Grisby         --