[omniORB] Multiple ports in OmniOrb 2.6

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Nov 2 12:09:05 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 30 October, Jeff Wambolt wrote:

> I am going to describe what it is we are wanting to do...
> On ONE machine.
>
> We want to run 2 instances of our service, each one connecting to the
> SAME server (specified with *clientTransportRule*),
> BUT we want multiple endPoints... one for each our our processes.

Why?  What effect do you think that will have?

[...]
> In short, we have a certain type and volume of "callback" data traffic
> that we don't want "mixing" with other traffic.
> We want to, in a programmatic or pre-config way, separate these 2.

Why?  TCP port numbers are not things with a limited capacity for
sending data. A TCP connection is characterised by the endpoint details
of both ends. It makes precisely no difference if two clients are
connected to a single server port than if the two clients are connected
to two different server ports. There is no "mixing" of traffic just
because it happens to be sharing a port number.