[omniORB] Multiple ports in OmniOrb 2.6

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Nov 5 12:55:18 GMT 2007

On Friday 2 November, "Shawn LaMaster" wrote:

>      The reason for doing this is that the host we are connecting to -
>  the Chicago Board of Options Exchange (CBOE) - only allows one port
> connection on their end per session/application/login.   We want to
> establish two (or more) from one machine.  We would like to have
> market data (bids,asks,trade prices, etc) coming through on one
> instance of our service, and the actual trading to go through on
> another separate instance of our service - but from the same server -
> one OmniOrb.  This is a limitation they impose on their end that we
> have no control over - one port per session. This is why we are
> asking how to do this.  Thanks for your help.

What a bizarre requirement. Would they have the same requirement if the
server was a web server, or would they allow everyone to connect to port
80 (or other fixed port) like every other web server on the planet?

The only sensible way to support that requirement is to have two
separate server processes, one listening on each port. They could
actually both be facades for the real server if you need to have one
single server.

Any other solution would rely on making sure all clients know which port
to choose out of a multi-profile IOR, which is a very fragile approach.