[omniORB] ORB Initialization Problems On Windows XP Box With No Network Connection

Stefan Näwe naewe.s at atlas.de
Fri Mar 11 08:33:07 GMT 2005

Craig W. Wright schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having some trouble getting omniORB to initialize on a Windows system with
> no network connection. When the network connection is present everything
> works perfectly.

This is what we have in our README:

- Under XP its recommended to Disable Media Sense for TCP/IP:
     see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q239924
   Use Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to view the following key in the
registry:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
   Add the following registry value:
     Value Name: DisableDHCPMediaSense
     Data Type : REG_DWORD -Boolean
     Value Data: 1
   Restart your computer.
- Under XP if started without network cable its recommended to install
Microsoft Loopback Adapter:
     see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q825089
   To install the Microsoft Loopback Adapter, follow these steps:
     Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Add Hardware.
     Click Next.
     Click Yes, I have already connected the hardware.
     In the Installed hardware list, click Add a new hardware device,
and then click Next.
     Click Install the hardware that I manually select from a list
(Advanced), and then click Next.
     In the Common hardware types list, click Network adapters, and then
click Next.
     In the Manufacturer box, click Microsoft, in the Network Adapter
list, click Microsoft Loopback Adapter, and then click Next.
     Click Finish.
   Restart your computer.

HTH

Stefan
Stefan Naewe                                     ATLAS Elektronik GmbH
                                                          Dept.: NUS T4
phone: +49-(0)421-457-3969                Sebaldsbruecker Heerstr. 235
fax:   +49-(0)421-457-3913                                28305 Bremen