Distribute processing with omniorb2

Andreas Lehmuehler A.Lehmkuehler@imech.com
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:39:18 +0200

Eoin Carroll wrote:

> > I have just installed omniorb2 on NT and the examples works fine on one
> > single machine. I would try to use COS nameservice and test
> > client/server in network. To run the example eg3_clt on a client machine
> > I do have to start a nameservice on the client machine too?
> > How do I use the nameclt and how do I bind two machines together?
> > This is not documented in omniorb or not given a straightforward
> > example.
> > When I look up in CORBA books their examples are done with other
> > propitary services or with a pseudo nameservice.
>
> There is no need to run omniNames on the client machine as well. You only need
> to have omniNames running on one machine on your network.
>
> When you run omniNames, it outputs a stringified IOR. You should
> copy the IOR (including the IOR: prefix), and add it as the (string or REG_SZ)
> value NAMESERVICE under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\omniORB\2.0
> Use the tool REGEDT32.EXE (on NT 3.5) or REGEDIT.EXE (on NT 4) to do this.
> You must add the IOR to the registry of every machine upon which you want to
> run omniORB applications. When you have done this, you can run nameclt, eg3,
> etc.
> Note that you can use a configuration file instead of the registry.
>
> The steps for configuring the Naming Service on Win32 platforms are documented
> in README.win32 . It is also documented in the omniORB User's Guide
> ("Setting Up Your Environment") in chapter 1. The documentation on nameclt is
> in the omniORB utilities guide ( utilities.{pdf,ps} ).
> Documentation on the examples is in chapter 2 of the omniORB User's Guide.

I've tried this and it has failed. Whenever I've started eg3_impl I've
got a 'abnormal program termination'. The other examples are working
fine. I've added the value in the registry and made a config-file and
set the env-variable OMNIORB_CONFIG, but nothing happend. I've tried to
debug the program with MSVC4.2 but it also failed, because I couldn't
single-step through the libraries (omniORB2 and omnithread). I've
recompiled the hole distribution with debug-informations included but it
doesn't fit. Perhaps the compiler isn't the best one or I'am a little
bit too stupid.

Is there perhaps a little thing I've forgotten?

Andreas
Andreas Lehmkuehler
EMail: A.Lehmkuehler@imech.com
Institut fuer Mechatronik   Tel.: 02841/101-262