Distribute processing with omniorb2

Eoin Carroll ewc@orl.co.uk
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:25:50 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

> I have just installed omniorb2 on NT and the examples works fine on one
> single machine. I would try to use COS nameservice and test
> client/server in network. To run the example eg3_clt on a client machine
> I do have to start a nameservice on the client machine too?
> How do I use the nameclt and how do I bind two machines together?
> This is not documented in omniorb or not given a straightforward
> example.
> When I look up in CORBA books their examples are done with other
> propitary services or with a pseudo nameservice.

There is no need to run omniNames on the client machine as well. You only need
to have omniNames running on one machine on your network.

When you run omniNames, it outputs a stringified IOR. You should
copy the IOR (including the IOR: prefix), and add it as the (string or REG_SZ)
value NAMESERVICE under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\omniORB\2.0
Use the tool REGEDT32.EXE (on NT 3.5) or REGEDIT.EXE (on NT 4) to do this.
You must add the IOR to the registry of every machine upon which you want to
run omniORB applications. When you have done this, you can run nameclt, eg3,
etc.
Note that you can use a configuration file instead of the registry.

The steps for configuring the Naming Service on Win32 platforms are documented
in README.win32 . It is also documented in the omniORB User's Guide
("Setting Up Your Environment") in chapter 1. The documentation on nameclt is
in the omniORB utilities guide ( utilities.{pdf,ps} ).
Documentation on the examples is in chapter 2 of the omniORB User's Guide.

Eoin.
--
Eoin Carroll                                     ewc@orl.co.uk
Research Engineer