[omniORB] Is it possible to narrow to a local implementation?

Ramón Talavera ramon.talavera at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 18:20:21 BST 2014

I hope this does not sound too weird or basic.

Is it possible to 'narrow' a _ptr or _var instance to a concrete
implementation, I mean, obtain the real implementation of the
wrapped-around-by-corba so that I communicate with it through the 'local'
interface?

For example:

AImp is-a CorbaObject that implements CA , it contains a public method mX()
NOT present in the IDL.

AImp *a=new AImp(ORB);
a.mX(); // perfectly possible due to being AImp

... later, in another method, and in the same machine:

CA_ptr ca= get a corba reference to a by narrowing.
ca.mX(); // illegal, mX() is not part of the IDL

AImp *a=(AImp*) (ca->_get_Implementation()); // cannot make this to compile

Is _get_Implementation() suppossed to do what I am trying to archieve? Is
it even possible to access the real wrapped implementation when local to
the object?

Thanks in advance.
 Ramón Talavera