[omniORB] Resize strategy for POA not reclaiming memory when servants are deactivated for omniORB 4.1.7

Jason Hein jason.j.hein at objectivesolutions.com
Wed Jan 29 15:25:53 GMT 2014

We are seeing an issue when using a POA to capture servants as they are
activated and deactivated. The memory size of the  server program that
manages the POA is growing as servants are  being activated by the POA.
Conversely, when we are deactivating those same servants and removing all
references to the object to initiate object destruction, we are not seeing
a reduction in memory size for the server program.  Instead, the memory
size remains consistent when the last object was activated by the POA.

It looks like the containers that manage the servants and identifiers are
not re-sizing as we would expect.  Are there policy settings or orb
configuration settings that we could alter to affect the resize activity on
these containers?  When creating a child POA we are using the following
policy:

        policy_list.length(pstart+1);
        policy_list[pstart] = parent->create_request_
processing_policy(PortableServer::USE_ACTIVE_OBJECT_MAP_ONLY);
        pstart++;
        policy_list.length(pstart+1);
        policy_list[pstart] =
parent->create_lifespan_policy(PortableServer::TRANSIENT);
        pstart++;
        policy_list.length(pstart+1);
        policy_list[pstart] =
parent->create_id_assignment_policy(PortableServer::SYSTEM_ID);
        pstart++;
        policy_list.length(pstart+1);
        policy_list[pstart] =
parent->create_thread_policy(PortableServer::ORB_CTRL_MODEL);
        pstart++;
        policy_list.length(pstart+1);
        policy_list[pstart] =
parent->create_servant_retention_policy(PortableServer::RETAIN);
        pstart++;?

Cheers,

Jason

--