[omniORB] Resize strategy for POA not reclaiming memory when servants are deactivated for omniORB 4.1.7

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jan 31 16:31:27 GMT 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 10:25 -0500, Jason Hein wrote:

> We are seeing an issue when using a POA to capture servants as they
> are activated and deactivated. The memory size of the  server program
> that manages the POA is growing as servants are  being activated by
> the POA. Conversely, when we are deactivating those same servants and
> removing all references to the object to initiate object destruction,
> we are not seeing a reduction in memory size for the server program.
> Instead, the memory size remains consistent when the last object was
> activated by the POA.

Are you certain that you are getting your servant reference counting
right?  Have you added logging to your servant classes' destructors to
confirm that they are running?

How are you measuring the memory usage?  On some platforms, the OS often
does not reclaim freed process memory. When the process frees memory, it
doesn't give it back to the OS but instead holds onto it for future
allocations. Do you see your process grow continuously over time, or
does it just get big and then plateau?