[omniORB] Listen Backlog Parameter

Peter Klotz Peter.Klotz at ith-icoserve.com
Wed Jan 22 14:28:10 GMT 2014

Hello Duncan

In one of our Linux production environments we ran into the system listen backlog limit. The default listen backlog length in Linux is 128 (see /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn). When using SSL encryption it is rather simple (approximately 1000 clients are required) to hit this limit. From this point onward clients tend to receive a "Connection Refused" exception from the server.

The attached patch adds a "listenBacklog" parameter in omniORB with default value SOMAXCONN for TCP and SSL connections. So the default is the same as before.

Other popular servers like Apache also feature a similar parameter (e.g. https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#listenbacklog).

Should anyone require a higher value then besides the omniORB parameter these two system values also need to be increased:

/proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_max_syn_backlog

Regards, Peter.