[omniORB] Q: endPoint, endPointPublish and Windows hostname / computername

Felix Nawothnig fn at drdannenberg.de
Tue Jul 21 19:48:12 BST 2009

Martin Trappel wrote:
> I'm currently trying to figure out why sometimes putting the
> computername into endPointPublish will work and sometimes only the IP
> address will work.
>
> I suspect it's got to do with how Windows resolved hostnames (inside
> domains or outside etc.), but I'm a bit clueless as to how to narrow the
> problem down - dunno what to google for ...

I don't know if this is related but we had a similar problem a couple of
months ago... we had an omniORB application running as a Windows service
inside a workgroup, in which the boxes get their IP addresses via DHCP.

Turned out most of the time the ORB was already started before the
interface got it's address so it always bound to the loopback device -
there was not much we could do but wait for any updates to the interface
/ routing table and restart our software when it happened. We eventually
did that, although it meant replugging the network cable caused our
process to restart.

In a domain it's simpler, as you just have to depend on the right
service (don't ask me which one... trial and error helps. :-), which
will only successfully start when the network interface used to logon
the domain is available.

As for you resolving hostnames - both the DNS and WINS servers might be
distributed by DHCP, so if you got an omniORB service maybe it just
starts up too soon.

If you don't - can't help you there. :-)

Cheers,

Felix