[omniORB] Q: endPoint, endPointPublish and Windows hostname / computername

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jul 30 17:12:18 BST 2009

On Tuesday 21 July, Martin Trappel wrote:

> I have a windows machine with a given hostname and I can ping that
> machine from my PC.
> When - on the remote machine - I set endPoint:0=giop:tcp:sim-host: I
> cannot connect to a server running there (CORBA_transient) (but a
> local client there can connect). But when I set
> endPointPublish:0=giop:tcp:sim-host: instead I can connect to the
> server.

When you set endPoint, it restricts the server to only listen on a
single IP address. It looks up the name you give it, and binds to just
that address. Without an endPoint specification, it defaults to
listening on all its interfaces.

The problem you are seeing is probably that the server has multiple
network interfaces (which may not be real physical interfaces). When the
server looks up its own name, it gets a different IP address to the one
the client sees. Thus with endPoint, the server is listening on just
one, incorrect interface, so the client cannot connect. With
endPointPublish, the server is still listening on all interfaces, so the
client is able to connect.

> I know it is recommended to set endPointPublish instead of endPoint,
> but sometimes even endPointPublish:...name... does not work, even
> though I can ping the name alright.
>
> any pointers?

Run both client and server with traceLevel 25. That gives lots of
information about connections. If possible, update to the 4.1.4 release,
since that has even better logging in that respect than earlier
versions.