[omniORB] Q: endPoint, endPointPublish and Windows hostname / computername

Martin Trappel 0xCDCDCDCD at gmx.at
Tue Jul 21 18:31:59 BST 2009

Hi all.

I'm currently trying to figure out why sometimes putting the
computername into endPointPublish will work and sometimes only the IP
address will work.

I suspect it's got to do with how Windows resolved hostnames (inside
domains or outside etc.), but I'm a bit clueless as to how to narrow the
problem down - dunno what to google for ...

An example for the problem is:
I have a windows machine with a given hostname and I can ping that
machine from my PC.
When - on the remote machine - I set endPoint:0=giop:tcp:sim-host: I
cannot connect to a server running there (CORBA_transient) (but a local
client there can connect). But when I set
endPointPublish:0=giop:tcp:sim-host: instead I can connect to the server.

I know it is recommended to set endPointPublish instead of endPoint, but
sometimes even endPointPublish:...name... does not work, even though I
can ping the name alright.

any pointers?

cheers,
Martin