[omniORB] Win32 Installer version for VC++ MS6, MS7, MS8

Dietmar May dcmay at dmis.com
Mon Jun 5 12:44:51 BST 2006

I've built the omniORB 4.07 release under VC++ 6 SP6, VC++ 7.1, and VC++
8.0 (2005 .NET), and packaged them into an InstallShield installer
package. The make files were changed to build the DLLs and LIBs with
distinct filenames, permitting versions built for all three compilers to
co-exist on the same machine. I didn't diff the exports for the DLLs;
but do know that there were some changes in the name mangling in v7.1
and v8.0 from v6.0, and 6.0 DLLs weren't linking with 8.0 projects. So,
the file names needed to change.

The installer puts omniNames.exe and the main DLLs in the
<windows>/system32 directory (omniORB407_rtd.dll - now
omniORB407_ms6_rtd.dll; omnithread32_ms8_rt.dll;
omniDynamic407_ms7_rtd.dll; etc), but leaves the COS services in the
omniORB4/bin/x86_win32 directory. The installer also has different
user-selectable file groups for binaries, development tools (includes
and libraries), COS support (includes, LIBs, and DLLs), and source code.

The release uses the Python 1.5 libraries that were included with one of
the builds on sourceforge; so no external Python install is needed.
uninstall has been tested, and the system32 libraries should be properly
marked as shared (in case your app also includes the omniORB DLLs). Hmm,
come to think of it, COS services may not be flagged as potentially
shared or in-use. Sorry, we're not using them right now, so that wasn't
important to us. That would be easy for me to change. If anyone has an
interest, please let me know and I'll be glad to rebuild and repost the
package.

The makefiles had only minor changes - maybe one day I'll have time to
do some diffs and post them, and to get the Installshield project
(currently uses the "free" Installshield Visual Studio 98 Edition)
zipped up in case someone wants to do this for newer releases, or to
repackage COS services, etc.

Duncan, if this looks of interest to you, would you kindly download and
post to sourceforge? Otherwise, in the (perhaps unlikely) event this
turns out to be a popular download, my company would get hit with
bandwidth overage fees.

In the meantime, if anyone has an urgent need, the ZIP'd Installshield
package can be downloaded (108 MB) from here:

http://www.dmis.com/download/omniorb407_win32.exe

Dietmar May