[omniORB] static linking problem

Nikolas Kauer kauer at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sun Jun 4 19:58:13 BST 2006

Hi,

I'm now using SUSE 10.0's default gcc compiler (version 4.0.2 20050901) instead of a
custom compiled version 3.2.3 to compile and link omniORB-4.0.7 in my application.
When I link dynamically everything is fine.  When I link statically with -static
however I now get the following error when I run the program (it worked fine previously):

omniORB: ORB_init failed: Bad parameter (ISO-8859-1) for ORB configuration option nativeCharCodeSet, reason: Unknown code set name
gg2WW: CORBA::SystemException
omniORB: ERROR -- the application attempted to invoke an operation
 on a nil pseudo-object reference.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CORBA::INV_OBJREF'
Aborted

I followed the suggestion in the documentation and included
#include <omniORB4/optionalfeatures.h>
but no change.

Since I start worker programs on a cluster with a variety of Linux installations
being able to link the application statically is fairly important to me.
I can't continue to use the old gcc since I don't get the Intel compilers,
which are also needed, to work with it.

Can anyone help?

There's a possibly related comment by Duncan here:
[omniORB] Invald nativeCharCodeSet ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8
Tue Apr 18 16:31:30 BST 2006

Cheers,
Nikolas