[omniORB] more ILU -> omniORB questions

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Mon Sep 29 18:19:06 BST 2003

I'm sure everyone is quite sick of hearing about my challenges, but
I'd like to throw one more out there and get some feedback on how
things might work best.

ILU provided a crude authentication scheme in the form of "passports".
We exploited this feature to put a Sun RPC Authentication token that
carried the current user's name down into the service. We could then
use this information in log messages, etcetera.

It seems to me that CORBA and omniORB lack such a facility, being more
focused on quality service of remote objects and less on the server
features. If I'm wrong I would love to know, but let's assume I'm
right.

It occurs to me that the only way to build this back in, is to
explicitly pass the information as part of a method's argument list. I
think this is one more thing that I need to build into my wrapper
classes; then the IDL will look a little funny but otherwise it should
work out fine. Does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks,
--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts <geoff at gerrietts dot net>      http://www.gerrietts.net/
   "If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?" --Abraham Lincoln