[omniORB] Basic questions while trying to build omni orb...

Ali Reza A.Reza at zensar.com
Sat Nov 29 19:48:44 GMT 2003

I am trying to build omni ORB using the source on a windows 2000 machine using Microsoft's nmake utility - Visual Studio. NET C++ & of course the cl compiler. As I understand: omni orb needs : -
1. python
2. perl
3. openssl
QUESTION : Is there any other tool that is required ? If possible, will some one briefly explain why each of these are required ?

I have TWO options...throughout -
1. use the utilities provided by cygwin - like python interpreter, etc
2. build them using the source.
Has anybody faced problems while building these using the cygwin utilities ? I think while building using utilities I will run into problems because the (cygwin) utilities do not come with all requisite dll's. Please advice ?

What is the exact role played by the open ssl library ? As I understand this is an enhanced security feature - provides some sort of enhanced security for open sockets...using .pem files. But I won't more information than this. Any URL will help. Suppose I don't want to build omni orb using this enhanced security - what should I do ? Is there a way to comment out the openssl ?

I have already built python & openssl successfully using nmake utility & cl compiler provided by Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. Now I am going to make these using nmake & cl of Microsoft . NET C++ : has anybody faced problems - do I make some changes in the make files that have worked with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

Thanks