[omniORB] Servers vs Servants

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Nov 28 16:23:33 GMT 2003

On Friday 28 November, Johan Cronje wrote:

> Is there anyone that can tell me when to use the term "server" and
> when to use "servant" in the CORBA context? I am writing a report
> and would like to use the terms correctly.
>
> As I understand it, you use the term "servant" to mean the "object that you
> make requests to" and "server" is the "application containing a servant".

Not quite. A "servant" is a programming language object incarnating a
CORBA object. There is not necessarily a one-to-one mapping between
CORBA objects and servants.

Unlike "servant", "server" is not a well-defined term in CORBA. It is
generally taken to mean any process that makes CORBA objects available
(by incarnating servants for them).