[omniORB] RE: Basic questions while trying to build omni orb...

Maks Verver m.verver at student.utwente.nl
Sun Nov 30 13:53:31 GMT 2003

Hi Ali,

I don't think omniORB needs any of Perl, Python or OpenSSL to build.
However, you will need Python to run the IDL compiler. You can choose
wether or not you want to compile with SSL support from the configure
script (ie. specify --with-openssl or --without-openssl); if I'm not
mistaken the default is not to use OpenSLL.

By the way, if you do need Python or Perl distributions, I can highly
recommend the ActiveState distributions, which are easy to install and
work very well for Windows:
http://www.ActiveState.com/Products/ActivePython/
http://www.ActiveState.com/Products/ActivePerl/
But note that you probably only need Python.

I think CygWin is required for tools like GNU make and the Bourne shell;
these don't need any extra libraries. However, I have not compiled
omniORB with CygWin, so I wouldn't really know.

Kind regards,
Maks Verver.