[omniORB] patch: support for compilation tuning using enviroment vars.

Bastiaan Bakker bastiaan.bakker@lifeline.nl
Tue Nov 19 23:02:02 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 18:51, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> hi Duncan (et al.),
>
> as you are talking about configure.ac enhancements I'd like
> to propose some additional changes that would greatly help
> users:
>
> among autoconf based packages it is pretty common these days
> to provide <package>-config scripts that let you query required
> preprocessor/compiler/linker flags to be used when using
> these packages.
> This would be particularly helpful with omniORB, as there are
> a lot of flags to be set with respect to platform, os, etc.
>
> Can't configure generate a script omniORB-config which I can
> call like
>
> omniORB-config --cppflags
> omniORB-config --cxxflags
> omniORB-config --libs
>
> etc. ?
> If there is interest, I'd be happy to work on such a feature...

Last thing I heard is that <packagename>-config is not l33t anymore, we
all should use pkg-config (see
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/).
Actually it *does* make sense to have one script and a bunch of config
files rather than a whole lot almost identical scripts containing config
data.

And yes, I'm interested :-)

Cheers,

Bastiaan Bakker