[omniORB] Corba between Python and C++ (and maybe Java)

Piet van Oostrum piet@cs.uu.nl
Fri Nov 15 13:28:01 2002

CL> Hi,
CL> Maybe this is the wrong place for a dumb question, but I can't seem to get
CL> the answer out of all the endless web pages of Corba, and as a python and
CL> omniorbpy user, I'm hoping this group can help me.

CL> If I want a C++ object, and a python object (and a maybe java object)
CL> to all talk to each other. What do I need?

An ORB with C++ support and one with Python support.

CL> Must I use omniorbpy to "serve up" the python object, onmiorb (c++) to
CL> serve up the c++ object?

Or any other orb. E.g. Fnorb for Python.

CL> In other words if an ORB like omniorb supports python and c++ does that
CL> preclude implementations using it from talking to say a Java Corba
CL> interface?

No, Orb's should be interoperable.
The old Java Orb (before JDK 1.4) had some peculiarities which caused some
things (e.g. Naming service) not to work properly with other Corba
implementations. Most things did work, however.

CL> Would that defeat the whole idea of Corba?

Yes. The Corba idea is that different Orbs work together.

--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl