[omniORB] Corba between Python and C++ (and maybe Java)

Leandro Fanzone leandro@hasar.com
Fri Nov 15 13:37:01 2002

Hello, Craig. I have a similar scenario here. To answer your questions:

Craig Leppan wrote:

>If I want a C++ object, and a python object (and a maybe java object) to all
>talk to each other. What do I need?

You can embed Python on your C++ code, or you can communicate them
through CORBA, using omni in this case.

>Must I use omniorbpy to "serve up" the python object, onmiorb (c++) to serve
>up the c++ object?

Yes. You don't need both to be servers, naturally. Also, there are other
packages to work with Python and C++ in CORBA.

>In other words if an ORB like omniorb supports python and c++ does that
>preclude implementations using it from talking to say a Java Corba
>interface?

I don't see any reason to say that. CORBA is language independent,
different ORBs can talk to each other. I have no experience with Java,
though.

>I'm really trying hard to motivate for Corba in our new development
>environment which is basically a distributed object system. I'd really like
>to prototype in c++, and java and python as we have those skills around.

I have a POS system running right now with some thirty different CORBA
servers written in C++, Python and CorbaScript (soon to be moved to
Python) talking to each other, and everything works beautifully. Speed
is a non issue, and the distributed model is a real advantage. You can
write in the language you need each module, and if something fails, you
can isolate the object that has the problem with independence of the
rest. You can easily replace an object with a different implementation.
The prototypes are written in an interface specialized language (IDL) so
everything is smoother and standarized.

Leandro Fanzone