[omniORB] Squirrelly behavior from name service

Lyle Johnson jlj@cfdrc.com
Wed Aug 14 13:15:02 2002

Favre Benoit wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Linux 7.2; both are using omniORB-3.0.5.
>
>I currently work with omni 305 and RH 7.2 as you and i have no such problems.
>There are a few things to check :
>
>Are you using omniNames (wich works fine) or other name service like tnameserv
>from java wich does not support GIOP 1.2 completely?

I'm using omniNames.

>How are you retrieving the name serivce reference? (from
>resolve_initial_reference() or from some string_to_objet("corbaloc:...")) ?
>corbaloc is GIOP 1.2 and will not work with old name services.

I'm retrieving the name service reference using
orb->resolve_inital_references("NameService").

>Is your DNS properly configured on both machines? (weird things in
>/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf may result in problems).
>
>Are both machines available in reverse DNS resolution (ip to name) as well as
>normal resolution (name to ip)?

I don't know the answers to these questions right offhand, especially
with regards to the question about *reverse* DNS resolution, but can
investigate later this morning. (I know that both machines are available
in normal, name-to-IP address resolution.)

>I never used the omniORB.cfg, may be, you should try the old program
>parameter : -ORBInitialHost <host> -ORBInitialPort <port> , if you use
>initial references.

OK, I'll note that as a possibility also.

>At last if this does not help you, give me a source sample that would make me
>reproduce the problem.

Thanks very much for your suggestions so far. Will let you know how
things go.