[omniORB] Squirrelly behavior from name service

Favre Benoit ben.favre@wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 14 09:01:01 2002

Hi,

> Linux 7.2; both are using omniORB-3.0.5.

I currently work with omni 305 and RH 7.2 as you and i have no such problems.
There are a few things to check :

Are you using omniNames (wich works fine) or other name servce like tnameserv
from java wich does not support GIOP 1.2 completely ?

How are you retrieving the name serivce reference ? (from
resolve_initial_reference() or from some string_to_objet("corbaloc:...")) ?
corbaloc is GIOP 1.2 and will not work with old name services.

Is your DNS properly configured on both machines ? (wired things in
/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf may result in problems).

Are both machines available in reverse DNS resolution (ip to name) as well as
normal resolution (name to ip) ?

I never used the omniORB.cfg, may be, you should try the old program
parameter : -ORBInitialHost <host> -ORBInitialPort <port> , if you use
initial references.

At last if this does not help you, give me a source sample that would make me
reproduce the problem.

cheers,
Benoit Favre