[omniORB] Possibility of having a CORBA client/server without a nameservice .

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:27:39 +0000

On Thursday 1 November, Vinaya Kavathekar wrote:

> 2) Tried using the following code to resolve initial reference from the Java
> client, but it failed. (As expected, since they are different orbs.)
> 	String obj_string = "corbaloc::localhost:5555/" + objName;
> 	org.omg.CORBA.Object obj = orb.string_to_object(obj_string);
>
> 	objMgr = CORHelloHelper.narrow(obj);

This should work with any ORB that supports the interoperable naming
service. The built-in Java ORB doesn't support it, but plenty of the
other free ORBs do.

> 3) Share an initial IOR between client and server.
> 	This is extremely difficult since we do not have a common
> file-system. That means, there must be some initial bootstrapping through
> sockets or such, totally defeating the purpose of using CORBA.

If you pin down the host, port and key of the server object, the IOR
will always be the same, so you can manually exchange the IOR once,
and it will always work.