[omniORB] Compiler Front End (CFE) in OmniORB

Marcus Gruendler runner@i5.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 16:22:08 +0200

Duncan Grisby wrote:

[...]
> Oh dear. The Sun front-end is a total disaster. That's why we have
> thrown it away and started from scratch for omniORB 3.

Ah! So I am not alone with this problem, "nice" to hear ;-)

> If at all possible, I would strongly recommend that you switch to
> using the new omniidl, which comes with the omniORB 3 pre-release (and

I just talked with my collegue and we agreed to try your new IDL
compiler. I downloaded the latest snapshot and had a quick look at it.
It seems to be a lot less code than the Sun front end, so I hope to
understand your front end quite quickly.

Could you tell me how stable the compiler and its API currently are?
Will there be many changes in the near future, or is it fairly stable?
And the last question: is there any documentation available about how to
implement a back end? Otherwise I'll take a look into the  examples in
omniidl_be.

Thanks for your hint!

Bye, Marcus

--
 Marcus Gruendler
 runner@i5.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
 Chair for Information Systems & Database Technology
 RWTH-Aachen University, Germany