[omniORB] Compiler Front End (CFE) in OmniORB

Tue, 06 Jun 2000 13:36:23 +0100

On Tuesday 6 June, Marcus Gruendler wrote:

> I am currently working on a project which uses a part of the OmniORB's
> IDL compiler which is based on the "IDL Compiler Front End (CFE)" from
> Sun Microsystems. During my work I digged deep into the CFE's source
> code. I realized that hardly any memory management is done inside this
> front end.

Oh dear. The Sun front-end is a total disaster. That's why we have
thrown it away and started from scratch for omniORB 3.

If at all possible, I would strongly recommend that you switch to
using the new omniidl, which comes with the omniORB 3 pre-release (and
with omniORBpy). It has a sensible clean design, unlike the bizarre
arrangement of misguided design and hacks that are in the Sun
front-end. The new omniidl does properly track and free the memory it
allocates.

All of our back-ends for omniidl are now written in Python, but there
is a clean C++ API if you want to use that.

If you want to (or have to) stick with the old compiler, then I'm
afraid you're on your own. We have given up with it.