[omniORB] Compiler Front End (CFE) in OmniORB

Marcus Gruendler runner@i5.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 13:40:19 +0200

Hello,

I am currently working on a project which uses a part of the OmniORB's
IDL compiler which is based on the "IDL Compiler Front End (CFE)" from
Sun Microsystems. During my work I digged deep into the CFE's source
code. I realized that hardly any memory management is done inside this
front end.

Since OmniORB's IDL compiler just parses IDL files and then terminates
there is no problem with memory leaks because all memory allocated
during the parse will be released when the compiler terminates. But I
also found some strange (incorrect?) pointer handling which might also
affect the OmniORB IDL compiler.

My problem is that my project will be a server running continously which
parses IDL files on a request from a client. After processing the
request the server has to release the allocated parse tree.
Unfortunately there is no way to do so.

Have there been any thoughts by the developers about this problem? If
so, could you share these thoughts with me :-) ? If you need more
information, I'll tell you more. You might also have a look at
omniORB_280/src/tool/omniidl2/ast/ast_decl.cc, in function void
AST_Decl::set_name(UTL_ScopedName *n).

If this question was too off topic for this list I apologize.

Thank you for any help, Marcus

--
 Marcus Gruendler
 runner@i5.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
 Chair for Information Systems & Database Technology
 RWTH-Aachen University, Germany