[omniORB] Compiling Difficulties with 082798 snapshot and EGCS 1.1

Brent Fulgham bfulgham@xpsystems.com
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:25:51 -0700

------ =_NextPart_001_01BDDB2C.34157F70

Last night I attempted to compile the latest omniorb snapshot using egcs
1.1, since it now properly handles exceptions in shared libraries.
While I did eventually get it to compile, and it seems to work properly,
I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Behavior:  Compilation would halt part-way through with an "internal
compiler error".  If I simply typed "make export" again, it would
continue where it left off and run again.  I suspect my problem may be
that I have insufficient memory to compile some of the larger object
files in omniORB (I have 32 Megs RAM), and my problem stems from
inefficient swapping to disk (resulting in egcs running out of memory),
a memory leak in egcs, or some other similar inefficiency.

I am running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 with egcs 1.1 on an AMD K6-2, 32 Megs
RAM, 5 Gig HD.

Thanks,

-Brent

------ =_NextPart_001_01BDDB2C.34157F70

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.0.1458.49">

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Last night I attempted to compile the latest omniorb =
snapshot using egcs 1.1, since it now properly handles exceptions in =
shared libraries.&nbsp; While I did eventually get it to compile, and =
it seems to work properly, I was wondering if anyone else had similar =
experiences.</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Behavior:&nbsp; Compilation would halt part-way =
through with an &quot;internal compiler error&quot;.&nbsp; If I simply =
typed &quot;make export&quot; again, it would continue where it left =
off and run again.&nbsp; I suspect my problem may be that I have =
insufficient memory to compile some of the larger object files in =
omniORB (I have 32 Megs RAM), and my problem stems from inefficient =
swapping to disk (resulting in egcs running out of memory), a memory =
leak in egcs, or some other similar inefficiency.</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 with egcs 1.1 on an =
AMD K6-2, 32 Megs RAM, 5 Gig HD.</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks,</FONT>
<BR>