[omniORB] Gatekeeper available?

Jan Lessner jan@c-lab.de
Tue, 08 Sep 1998 18:51:32 +0200

Ralf,
> I wasn't able to find anything about an 'omniORB' gatekeeper on the
> omniORB site.
> Is there a gatekeeper like the one from Inprise/Visibroker for omniORB?
> Is there anybody, who uses a gatekeeper with omniORB?
"Gatekeeper" in omniORB refers to the basic access control mechanism
which (as far as I know) is currently available only for UNIX, based on
tcp_wrappers. It is not concerned with proxy functionality as
VisiBroker's gatekeeper server.

> I'm very very very interested to use a IIOP proxy like gatekeeper from
> Inprise, if
> it is a GNU licenced one compatible with omniORB.
So am I ;-)
Don't know any yet. The one from VisiBroker is not suitable for omniORB
as we found out already. However, it is pretty simple to provide your
own one on the IDL level of your applications. You just have to write a
tiny server which pretends to hold the actual implementation objects but
in fact just forwards all requests to the real servers. That's what we
did, and due to omniORB's multi-threading approach it worked right from
the start without interfearance by multiple connected clients.

Regards,

	Jan Lessner, C-LAB