[omniORB] Scalability and maxStrands

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
07 Aug 1998 19:26:42 +0100

rshoup@tumbleweed.com (Randy Shoup) writes:

> It turns out that we experienced the exception problem running a client
> on NT and a server on Solaris2.6.  We did not experience the problem
> running both client and server on Solaris.

If my guess is correct, you are not using omni_thread library to create
threads on your NT client. There is a known bug in the omni_thread library
to cause an exception be raised when these threads block in an
omni_condition, which is how client threads block waiting for a strand to
become free.

The fix is available in:

http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/bugs/18.html

You, and in fact all omniORB2 on NT users, are *STRONGLY* encouraged to
apply the fix if you prefer to create threads without using the omni_thread
library.

Sai-Lai

ps I've done my test on NT with no problem. However, the test program
creates threads using the omni_thread library.

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND