[omniORB] Scalability and maxStrands

Randy Shoup rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Thu, 06 Aug 1998 15:33:19 -0700

Sai-Lai --

Sai-Lai Lo wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> I have not been able to reproduce the bug you are seeing on Solaris 2.5.
>
> Attached is the test program I used, could you try it with your set up to
> see if it fails?
>
> Sai-Lai

Thanks for looking into this.

It turns out that we experienced the exception problem running a client
on NT and a server on Solaris2.6.  We did not experience the problem
running both client and server on Solaris.

If you can't reproduce the problem in an NT/Solaris configuration, we'll
be happy to try it on our end.

> rshoup@tumbleweed.com (Randy Shoup) writes:
>
> >   We have run into a scalability problem using omniORB2.5.0, and wanted
> > some input.  It seems that the maximum number of strands per rope is
> > hard-coded to 5 in tcpSocketMTfactory.cc(529).  This means that a single
> > client can only have 5 simultaneous connections to any particular
> > server.  I have several questions:
> >
> > 1. Is there any reason why this value is hard-coded to 5?
> > 2. Would there be any problem increasing this value?
> > 3. Are there any plans to make this more configurable -- e.g., through
> > an ORB command-line argument or compile-time parameter?
> >
> > In addition, comments in rope.h(759) imply that for maxStrands of n, the
> > (n+1)'th request will block until a strand is released.  When we exceed
> > the number of strands, instead of blocking, omniORB throws an
> > exception.  This occurs both on NT4 and Solaris2.6.
> >
> > 4. Any chance this is fixed?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,

-- Randy
Randy Shoup                                     (650)569-3682
Principal Engineer                              rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tumbleweed Software Corporation