[omniORB] configure does not check for python header and serialized make file

Thomas Braun thomas.braun at byte-physics.de
Tue Feb 9 14:41:29 UTC 2021

Hi,

I'm using omniORB 4.3 on debian buster and found out that if you don't
have the python headers, on debian the *python*-dev packages, installed
configure passes but you get a compile error later on like

cd /src/tool/omniidl
make

g++ -c -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -fexceptions  -I/usr/include/python2.7
-DPYTHON_INCLUDE="<Python.h>" -DPYTHON_THREAD_INC="<pythread.h>"
-DIDLMO
DULE_VERSION="\"0x2630\"" -fPIC -I. -I. -I../../../../include
-I../../../../include -D__OSVERSION__=2 -D__linux__ -D__x86_64__ -o
idlpython.
o idlpython.cc
<command-line>: fatal error: Python.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
gefunden

I would expect that configure checks that. My favourite solution would
be that I can turn python support off, as getting omniORB compiled on
odd platforms (Windows) is a pain anyway and not requiring python would
help.

One a related note I was also not able to speedup compilation via

make -j 12

it just compiled on single core which made debugging that issue quite
long.

I'm with tango-controls if that matters.

Thanks,
Thomas