[omniORB] OmniOrb and C++17 support

Daniel Krügler daniel.kruegler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 06:23:10 GMT 2020

Am Di., 24. März 2020 um 23:19 Uhr schrieb Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org>:

> On Thu, 2020-03-12 at 16:46 +0100, Daniel Krügler wrote:
> [...]
> > I would really appreciate this course of action. In particular, if
> > you make the existing dynamic exception specifications conditionally
> > existing based on C++17 I would argue that this could not cause an
> > ABI breakage.
>
> I have done that. The current code on the 4_2 branch now detects C++17
> (with #if __cplusplus >= 201703L) and suppresses the throw
> specifications in that case. You can get it from subversion or from the
> snapshot at
>
> https://omniorb.net/snapshots/omniORB-4.2-latest.tar.gz

Great - Thanks!

> At some point soon, I will release 4.2.4 with that and a few other
> fixes. I'd appreciate it if you could test the change to confirm that
> it works for you with your compiler. (Which compiler are you using, by
> the way?)

The main compilers we need to support are Visual Studio 2017, Visual
Studio 2012, gcc9 (linux) and linux linaro6 cross compiler

> As I mentioned before, the 4.3 branch doesn't need to worry about ABI
> compatibility with 4.2.x, so the throw specifications are long gone
> from there.
>
> Duncan.

Thanks very much for your efforts! It will presumably need a while
before I'm able to test this, but I'll give you feedback as soon as I
have new information for you!

If anyone else is able to test that candidate, please please
encouraged to do that and report you outcomes within this thread.

Thanks,

- Daniel