[omniORB] Python-2.x "from __future__ import unicode_literals" brings BAD_PARAM

Jim Bell Jim at JC-Bell.com
Sun Nov 10 15:35:48 GMT 2019

omniORBpy-4.2.3.

I found that using "from __future__ import unicode_literals" wreaks
havoc on my app code, with every string parameter or field value giving
CORBA.BAD_PARAM/omniORB.BAD_PARAM_WrongPythonType.

Littering the code either with str(x) conversions, or obsessing about
disallowing unicode_literals--both seem uncool.

Is there a single hook I can use? I think even a monkey-patch would be
preferable.  Am I missing something obvious?  Py-3.x I'm sure will be fine.

Thanks,

-Jim