[omniORB] [External] Re: OmniORB-4.2.2 compiled with gcc8 and C++14 leads into crash

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Apr 16 13:28:19 BST 2019

On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 11:03 +0000, Prasath via omniORB-list wrote:

> OmniORB-4.2.2 has dynamic exception specifications those are
> unsupported in C++17.
> So we removed those unsupported dynamic exception specifications and
> compiled the OmniORB-4.2.2 with "gcc8 and C++17".
> virtual void visit(const char* value,Source source) throw (BadParam)
> = 0;

Yes, that is the right thing to do. Just remove all the throw
specifications. The only place that has those throw specifications is
in the option processing code, which is not involved at all in the
errors you are seeing. Whatever the problem is, it has absolutely
nothing to do with those throw specifications.

> Apart from those changes what else need to be done to compile the
> OmniORB-4.2.2 with "gcc8 and C++17" properly?

Nothing. It works fine with just that change.

> Clarifications:
> As you mentioned that you have removed throw specifications in
> OmniORB-4.3 to support future compilers and it is in development
> branch. If so, could you please let us know when it will be released?

There is no current timeframe for omniORB 4.3 to be released, but that
is irrelevant here. There are no other changes in 4.3 that are related
to this.

The compiler has generated incorrect code, or the C++ runtime is
faulty. An exception is being thrown but it not being caught as it
should be by the exception handler.

Where did the compiler come from?  Did you compile it yourself?  What
does "g++ -v" report?

How did you configure omniORB?  What were the arguments to its
configure script?