[omniORB] Problem with Persistent POA

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Oct 29 15:00:56 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 14:14 +0100, Igor Lautar wrote:

[...]
> > Since Server POA is with PERSISTENT policy the reference of the object
> > should be valid even server gets restarted. But when I restart the server
> > and call a method with the same reference, I am getting the COMM_FAILURE
> > exception.
> >
> > Have any one faced this error with omniorb ? or correct me if my
> > understanding is wrong.
>
> So you're trying to achieve that your IOR are not changing when service is
> restarted?
>
> The only way to do it with omniORB (others, correct me if I'm wrong) is to use
> omniINSPOA. Actually, we use it in that way and there is no need for naming
> service then (as corbaloc URI can be used instead).

omniINSPOA is an orthogonal thing to what Srinith is asking.

If you use a PERSISTENT POA, and want its object references to survive
restarts, you must also ensure it starts up with the same endPoints each
time, by setting the endPoint parameter suitably. For example, you can
make it always start listening on port 12345 by giving command line
arguments -ORBendPoint giop:tcp::12345

omniINSPOA allows you to create objects with simple string keys,
allowing you to use simple corbaloc URIs to refer to persistent objects.
If you do that, you probably also want to specify endPoints, otherwise
the port number will change each time.