[omniORB] Can't run OmniPy out of the box? (_omniidl module problem)

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Nov 26 13:03:19 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 20 November, "Keeping, Benjamin" wrote:

> To answer your question, I want to use both Python and C++ eventually,
> but my initial focus is Python.
>
> Thanks, I may try what you suggest - in the meantime though I have
> started looking at ICE, and found it rather easier to get started
> with. This is despite years of experience using omniORB from C++.
>
> What would your comments be on the comparison of the two?

I haven't looked at Ice much, and I've certainly never used it for a
real project. For C++, Ice definitely has a much nicer language mapping
since it uses standard C++. I don't think it makes a huge amount of
difference for Python, since the CORBA Python mapping is pretty simple.

For some of the things I use Python and CORBA with, the lack of
something like the Any type would be a real problem with ICE. Anys fit
really well with Python's dynamic typing.

Despite ZeroC's claims about performance, the last time I did any
performance measurements, omniORB was significantly faster than Ice for
most operations:

  http://groups.google.com/group/comp.object.corba/browse_thread/thread/1106eb2c0ae4bc41/cc3468b0c5e1ef8e

Since that post, omniORB has gained some more intelligent string
marshalling code, so in plenty of cases the string performance should
beat Ice now. Of course, Ice may have got faster since then too.

And Ice isn't a standard, of course, which may or may not matter to you.