[omniORB] Network performance

Default User defaultuserbr at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 21:51:08 GMT 2007

--- Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 10 November, Duncan Grisby wrote:
>
> > What kind of absolute times do you get for your calls?
>
> By the way, I did some quick tests on some not very fast hardware,
> doing
> simple calls that sent and received an empty string. On a single
> machine, with normal two-way calls, I got 20000 calls per second with
> the TCP transport and 40000 calls per second with the Unix domain
> socket
> transport. For oneway calls, where the effects of round-trip latency
> are
> removed, I got 125000 calls per second with TCP and 175000 with Unix
> sockets.
>
> Between two machines, on a 100Mbit network, two-way calls were 7200
> calls per second and oneways were 110000 per second.
>
> How does that compare with your numbers?

I mentioned in an earlier message that 10000 calls were taking about
.25 seconds, so I'm seeing like 40000 per second. That drops to
about 4000 between boxes. I've only used TCP as transport. I specify
the endpoint in all cases for both client and server, either
-ORBendPoint giop:tcp:localhost:12345 or the remote IP address.

Brian