[omniORB] Network performance

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Sat Nov 10 17:23:37 GMT 2007

On Friday 9 November, Default User wrote:

> > I assume both cases (local and remote) were worse than omni but less
> > delta between them?
>
> Actually, no. The box-to-box tests had gSOAP beating omniorb. For the
> localhost test, omniorb was somewhere around 3 to 10 times faster.
> gSOAP being relatively unaffected (seemingly) by network latency,
> it was then around 3 times faster to on par, depending on the
> message type. The SOAP was notably slow with large arrays of doubles,
> for instance, as we were using "document literal" mode.

I'd be very surprised if omniORB is slower than a SOAP implementation,
since SOAP just has a lot more work to do to generate and parse XML
messages, and the messages are much larger.

Can you post some more details about what your test is actually doing?
How much data are you sending in each call?  What kind of data is it?
Are you just doing simple calls, or something more exotic with callbacks
or something?

What kind of absolute times do you get for your calls?