[omniORB] Multi EndPoint Failure - Possible Bug.

jklein at rockwellcollins.com jklein at rockwellcollins.com
Thu Mar 23 11:50:06 GMT 2006

Duncan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, my simple observation was very wrong as you already pointed out.. FYI,
I have very little test time allocated to the equipment so I had to do a
lot of guessing and not testing on this issue..

It came out to be a timeout issue but not exactly the one you pointed out..

Type ID: "IDL:CF/DeviceManager:1.0"
Profiles:
1. IIOP 1.2 192.168.78.22 32778 "....Q........."
            TAG_ORB_TYPE omniORB
            TAG_CODE_SETS char native code set: ISO-8859-1
                          char conversion code set: UTF-8
                          wchar native code set: UTF-16
                          wchar conversion code set: UTF-16

            TAG_ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS 10.0.26.1 32778
            TAG_ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS 10.26.1.1 32778
            TAG_ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS 172.16.0.26 32778

In the situation that things "seemed" to fail, the third IP address is the
one that should be used.. And as my debug showed, it looked like it tried
the first two then gave up..

But what really happened is that the second IP for some reason is taking 3
or more minutes to finally give up.. So, if I waited a very very long time,
it would finally work..

Is there an option for omniORB to timeout on each IP instead of all? So for
example, if the first IP takes more then a second, it will timeout and
switch rope to the next one?

Thanks,
John

             Duncan Grisby
             <duncan at grisby.or
             g>                                                         To
                                       jklein at rockwellcollins.com
             03/23/2006 06:12                                           cc
             AM                        omniorb-list at omniorb-support.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [omniORB] Multi EndPoint
                                       Failure - Possible Bug.

On Wednesday 22 March, jklein at rockwellcollins.com wrote:

[...]
> My simple observation seems to point me to believe that it works fine if
> all IPs refer to the same interface.. Both sides only attempted to
connect
> on IPs that are the same interface..

omniORB neither knows or cares which network interfaces the IP addresses
belong to, so it's nothing to do with that.

Have you set a timeout on your call?  If so, it may be timing out before
it tries all addresses. Have you set a clientTransportRule that has
prevented use of some addresses?  Whether you have or not, you might
like to look into clientTransportRule to allow the clients to pick the
right address as the first thing to try, rather than trying them in the
order they're published.

Please can you get a trace with -ORBtraceLevel 25 -ORBtraceThreadId 1
that shows _everything_ the client does, rather than just small excerpts
that don't show the whole picture.