[omniORB] Weird Connection Problems (cygwin & linux)

Brian Neal bgneal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 21:34:31 GMT 2006

Hi Luke,

On 2/22/06, Luke Deller <ldeller at xplantechnology.com> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 18:44 -0600, Brian Neal wrote:
>
> [...]
> > This has me totally baffled because other apps obtain radio IOR's
> > through the naming service, and they work just fine. What is different
> > about stringified IOR's?
>
> Stringifying an IOR (using orb.object_to_string) and then unstringifying
> it (using orb.string_to_object) should produce an IOR which is exactly
> equivalent to the original.

Sure, but is there something different about the IOR the cygwin app
gets from the name service on the radio versus me copy & pasting in a
stringified IOR that the radio app spits out?

> > And, assuming we get past that, why would the radio making calls into
> > a cygwin server hang? Its going the other way through the
> > firewall...is that it?
>
> That's one possibility.  You can check this theory by trying to telnet
> from the radio to the IP address and port specified in the IOR (you can
> obtain the IP address and port from a stringified IOR using the "catior"
> tool).

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow.

> Another possibility is that you've forgotten to activate the POA manager
> in your cygwin server.  This would cause all incoming calls to be
> blocked, though outgoing calls could be working fine.

No....I don't think this is it. My test apps work when both the test
client and test server are running on the same machine (either PC or
PowerPC).

Thanks for the help...please keep it coming!