[omniORB] Weird Connection Problems (cygwin & linux)

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Thu Feb 23 12:30:43 GMT 2006

Hi Brian,

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 18:44 -0600, Brian Neal wrote:

[...]
> This has me totally baffled because other apps obtain radio IOR's
> through the naming service, and they work just fine. What is different
> about stringified IOR's?

Stringifying an IOR (using orb.object_to_string) and then unstringifying
it (using orb.string_to_object) should produce an IOR which is exactly
equivalent to the original.

> And, assuming we get past that, why would the radio making calls into
> a cygwin server hang? Its going the other way through the
> firewall...is that it?

That's one possibility.  You can check this theory by trying to telnet
from the radio to the IP address and port specified in the IOR (you can
obtain the IP address and port from a stringified IOR using the "catior"
tool).

Another possibility is that you've forgotten to activate the POA manager
in your cygwin server.  This would cause all incoming calls to be
blocked, though outgoing calls could be working fine.

Regards,
Luke.

Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this
email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this
email are not necessarily the views of XPlan Technology.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the
information provided before loading onto any computer system.
Xplan Technology does not warrant that the
information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.