[omniORB] Starting omninames with -start option

Christian Laroque Christian.Laroque at vega.de
Wed May 11 11:21:35 BST 2005

Thanks for your input.

I would like to underline the following points:

1/ When the option -start is used, omninames checks if the log file is
present. If yes, then omninames issues an error and exit.
I don't really understand why.
If the user wants to start omninames with the option -start, he does not
want to keep the contexts possibly created before, and omninames should
then simply remove the log file (if any) and create a new one.

2/ When the option -start is not used, omninames checks if the log file
is present. If not, then omninames issues an error and exit.
Here also, omninames could simply makes the assumption that if the log
file is not present, then it should simply be created (as if the option
-start was used) and no context recovered, and a warning could possibly
be issued.

I need to install omninames on several windows 2003 machines in an
automatic way.
I want to start omninames as a windows service using srvany.
The service is started when the machine is booted.
This means that I always want to start omninames with the option -start
(I don't need to recover any context after reboot).
But if I start omninames with the option -start and the log file already
exists, omninames refuses to start ...

Regards,

Christian