[omniORB] Starting omninames with -start option

Christian Laroque Christian.Laroque at vega.de
Tue May 10 13:08:09 BST 2005

Dear All,

I am using OmniORB 4.0.3 on Windows 2003.

I want to start the omninames binary as WIndows service, using
srvany.exe provided in the Microsoft Windows Kit.

This works fine, but I have now the problem that the first time,
omniname must be started with the option -start, and later without.

I had a look in the code in the function omniNameslog::omniNameslog
(from file log.cc).

If omniname is started with the option -start, the code checks if the
omniname log file is already present (check for log file and backup log
file), and if yes, outputs an error and exits.

Is there any reason for this check?
Why not simply overwriting the log file if the log file is already
present? (that is however what is done when the log file is opened - it
is always opened with the TRUNC option !)

This would allow starting the naming service with the option -start in
all cases (first time or not).

Note: at the moment, I am starting the naming service via a batch file
which first delete the log file and then always start the naming service
with the -start option.
This works fine, but I would prefer to use a windows service.

I would appreciate any information on this topic.

Regards,

Christian

Christian Laroque
Darmstadt, Germany