[omniORB] Child processes on redhat

Diez B. Roggisch deets at web.de
Wed Mar 30 00:59:19 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 29. März 2005 21:11 schrieb John Chesshir:
>     In running my processes that use omniORB, I have noticed that two
> child processes get spawned at the point in the code where the root POA
> is accessed.  (We don't spawn any more POA's.)  Can someone tell me why
> this is happening?  Would you expect that more child processes got
> started during the execution of the program as CORBA requests came in,
> or does it stop at two for the entire execution of the program?  I ask
> because, if it did, my superiors would find that rather disturbing.

This is not a child process, but a thread, that gets displayed as separate
process on some linux systems. This is depending on your libc I believe - but
I'm not certain about that.

Multi-threaded (or multi-processed, but that's not the case here) programming
is necessary for responsive server architectures - if your superiors aren't
aware of that and not willing to submit to it, you _can_ configure omniorb to
be single-threaded - but that will result in a much slower service.

Regards,

Diez