[omniORB] Re: Testing OmniORB4 for memory leaks on Linux RH9 w/ valgrind

Sean Parker supinlick at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 09:11:47 BST 2005

Harri -

> --- Harri Pasanen <harri.pasanen at trema.com> wrote:
<snip>

> If my memory serves, the pthread leak is simply a
> one-time allocation,
> so not a real leak.  It will go away when the process
> exists, and
> should not grow from that.

I agree it doesn't grow - I'm looking for perfection! :-O

> I've spent hours with valgrind looking at various omniORB
> using
> programs, and never found leaks in omniORB.

Great - that's reassuring - did you need/bother to make
suppression file(s) to make valgrind output 'satisfying'
for your tests? (I'm trying to automate my testing, so a
simple casual look once in awhile isn't quite enough for
me)

> Although if an app keeps
> leaking CORBA object references, it will at first sight
> look like an
> omniORB leak, but really is an application problem.

Oh I'd agree with that! Again - kudos to Duncan for
explaining the difference between the usage of XYZ_ptr vs.
XYZ_var - that was very helpful to me.

Thanks
    Sean

God Bless