[omniORB] Re: Testing OmniORB4 for memory leaks on Linux RH9 w/ valgrind

Harri Pasanen harri.pasanen at trema.com
Thu Jun 9 10:05:20 BST 2005

On Thursday 09 June 2005 05:26, Sean Parker wrote:
> Hello -
>
>   I've finally had a chance to revisit the 'memory' - and
> I've run valgrind, and found no leaks/errors for simply
> bringing up the orb and then destroying it.
>
>   However when I add activating-the-POA, I get these two
> kinds of errors from valgrind:
>
>   1) leak of ~8160 bytes due to pthread
>   2) several "use of uninitialized bytes"
>
>   I've seen both of these on my own testing framework, so
> I'm not at all surprised. I had to have a fairly
> substantial "suppress" file (to hide #2 issues) for
> valgrind for things to "run clean" on my stuff.
>
>   However the first 'leak' is very annoying to me and I'm
> wondering if anyone knows if a) I'm doing domething wrong
> with pthread, b) there's a kernel patch, or c) there's a
> glibc patch that would fix that "bug" in the pthread. (of
> course the work around is to ignore it via supression
> entry)

If my memory serves, the pthread leak is simply a one-time allocation,
so not a real leak.  It will go away when the process exists, and
should not grow from that.

I've spent hours with valgrind looking at various omniORB using
programs, and never found leaks in omniORB.  Although if an app keeps
leaking CORBA object references, it will at first sight look like an
omniORB leak, but really is an application problem.

-Harri

This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you received it in error, please let us know and delete the message from your system. This message may be confidential and may fall under the duty of non-disclosure. Any use by others than the intended addressee is prohibited. Trema shall not be liable for any damage related to the electronic transmission of this message, such as failure or delay of its delivery, interception or manipulation by third parties, or transmission of viruses or other malicious code.