[omniORB] omniNames: IOR object key issue

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Sep 28 12:49:11 BST 2004

On Saturday 25 September, Satya B wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your reply. We need a different key in order to
> make JDK1.3 client understand omni generated IOR. The JDK1.3.x
> client reads an ior file to connect to the server.

OK.

> Question: if ORB_init() reads the user-specified key from the .cfg
> or the cmd line override, why not omniNames?

Because the configuration in the .cfg file is the _client_ side
configuration. It would be wrong to also use it to configure a server.

The object key of NameService is _required_ by the CORBA
specification. That's why it's not configurable in omniNames. To work
around the JDK bug, it's simplest just to build a version of omniNames
with a different hardcoded object key.